- Fort Wayne City Council members received iPads at the end of September to decrease their paper usage. (Estimated $10,000 in annual savings!)
- China was the first country to make paper by hand.
- The wasps were actually the first creatures to generate paper.
- The largest (normal) log of paper can contain 46 miles of paper!
- An average-sized papermaking plant can ship 1,000 tons of paper a day. (That’s about 50 logs!)
- Paper companies, such as XPEDX, are challenging young students to think of new ideas to help their campuses become more sustainable!
- Most types of paper reflect 60-90% of light.
- The two countries who produce the largest amount of paper are the United States and Canada.
- Paper is easier to fold, bend, or tear, if you do this along the same direction of the fibers.
- Every five minutes, the Earth produces enough paper waste to completely encase the Netherlands!
Did you know…
- There’s a brand of paper that’s waterproof? YUPO creates ultra-durable paper that is often used in the military.